Persistent, Intellectually Curious, Courageous, Entrepreneurial, Innovative – these are all words used to describe folks that are Engineers according to our guests on this episode, Mr. Ronald Moore and Dr. Terrence Freeman, who represent the St. Louis Chapter of the National Society of Black Engineers or NSBE. NSBE’s mission today is the same as it was over 40+ years ago—to help improve the recruitment and retention of black engineering students who excel academically, succeed professionally and positively impact the community.
NSBE is a highly respected, premiere African-American organization that is community focused with STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) programming and opportunities for children as young as elementary school all the way through post graduate studies. Hear about the positive impact they have had on entrepreneurs they’ve worked with and the millionaires and billionaires that are NSBE members.
What’s even more exciting is their 43rd Annual NSBE Conference that will be held March 29-April 2nd in Kansas City MO. At events like these, they have had great speakers and notables such as Arnold Donald, CEO of Carnival Cruise Line; General Darren McDew, Transcom, Commander US Airforce; Richard Mark, CEO of AmerenUE Illinois; Lieutenant General Joseph Ballard; former Corps of Engineers Commander and many other community figures that attend and participate. Listen closely, maybe there’s someone you recognize!
Dr. Freeman shares his personal journey where instead of basketballs or bicycles he received chemistry sets and telescopes from parents who were determined to expose him to science at an early age. He became exceptional in his field with full scholarships and opportunities to some of the nation’s most exceptional institutions for engineering. Mr. Moore not only served this country with the National Guard but his strong engineering background is presently a significant contribution to the region’s infrastructure that’s right below our feet.
Entrepreneur’s Inspiration is in their true engineer’s stories but also in the key take aways they share in this conversation.
In this episode:
– Encouragement if you’ve ever felt like you might not be right for the job or particular opportunity.
– Inspiration to overcome deeply engrained fears or apprehensions that you may have picked up in childhood.
– Entrepreneurship is about problem solving, but what’s a step beyond that? The importance of problem recognition.
– How engineering employs the same tactics as entrepreneurship.
– Two things entrepreneurs and engineers can’t leave home without-persistence and resilience.
– Engineering touches on so many industries, disciplines and perspectives that you could throw a rock in any direction at the huge annual NSBE national convention and would certainly hit someone along the engineering spectrum.
– The awe-inspiring details and highlights of the previous and 2017 NSBE national convention.
– How to connect with NSBE and NSBE STL. From K-Post Grad.
– Inspiration to become “entrepreneurially courageous” just as NSBE students are prompted to become “academically courageous”.